Saturday, August 12, 2006

Smothered Chicken

his is a recipe I got out of one of Justin Wilson’s cookbooks. There’s not much to it, but it really turns out delicious and it’s so simple I couldn’t resist sharing. I’ve modified the text a bit and added an instruction or two.

You do cook this chicken until it’s falling off the bones, so be careful when you’re eating it and warn your guests. I haven’t found it to be a real issue, just don’t stuff your mouth.

Smothered Chicken

1 cut up chicken, 2 to 3 pounds at the most
Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste (I used a good tablespoon plus)
2 tbl. soy sauce
Salt, to taste
2 tbl. cooking oil
2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. dry white wine
2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
Hot cooked rice (enough to serve about four people)

Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Place the chicken in a shallow dish and season with the soy sauce, hot sauce and salt. Watch your salt usage because soy sauce is already salty. Set the chicken aside.

Heat the oil in a high sided heavy pot or skillet (I used a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and parsley and saute’ until the onions are clear. Add the wine and stir, add the garlic and stir, then add the chicken and stir again. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring regularly, until the chicken is falling off the bones. Serve over hot cooked rice.

See? Nothing to it, but it really turns out delicious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

rice is nice, but mashed taters are better

mrmeadowlark said...

I make this recipe, using boneless skinless thighs or breasts. As for Rice, you gotta have it or it ain't Authentic Cajun.

Unknown said...

I know this is an old post, but if anyone's interested I served this over smashed cauliflower and it was excellent.

Anonymous said...

That's how I do it, too.