Sunday, January 02, 2011

In Which We Decide We Hate Mario Batali (Not Really, But Sort Of)

Wow. What a major disappointment! I spent the entire day in the kitchen for this... well, crap. I could have bought an already-made Boboli crust and added the toppings Mario suggested and it would have been better.

I'm all about the homemade anymore. There aren't a lot of prepackaged foods that I buy, but this was not even worth the cost of the flour it took to make this pizza.

The reviews on Amazon.com were just sparkling but at this point I can't help but wonder - are people simply piling on the compliments just because no one wants to be the first to disparage a beloved chef or do people really enjoy eating like this? It wasn't bad - don't get me wrong - but it really seriously wasn't great. Again: Boboli.

Also I couldn't come anywhere close to broiling as long as he recommended. My first pizzas (I could fit two on a sheet) were burnt to a crisp when they came out so at that point I had to watch them like a hawk to make sure the rest didn't burn.

My husband asked me if the sauce was simply tomato paste. In other words: no flavor.

Pfft and screw.

On the other hand, when I mess up a dinner I do it with finesse. Not only will I not be making this again, but I'm donating my copy of this book to my local library.

For those of you who think this is delicious pizza, enjoy! I guess my go-to easy meal now is just an omelet with sauteed asparagus and mushrooms....

UPDATE: After dinner I asked my 17 year old son to just throw what was left of the pizzas out and he asked me if he could save them for later instead. He thought they were good. I suppose I just don't care for super thin pizza crust and in all likelihood I'm just an unwashed Cretin. Or something like that.

And I'm keeping the damned book, too.

No comments: