Saturday, August 12, 2006

Banana Split Cake

I got this recipe out of a magazine years ago and unfortunately my memory is shot so I don’t remember which magazine. The important part is that I remember the recipe, though, so yay, me.

The original recipe included banana cake from scratch but as I found out later when I was pressed for time boxed mix works every bit as well and oh, the horror! Truthfully any banana cake recipe will do, box mix or scratch, as long as there is enough batter to make two 8″ or 9″ layers.

Besides being delicious it’s impressive looking. I made it recently for a party at my sister-in-law’s house and I would be posting pictures but I was on the tipsy side so I sort of slopped it together. Lesson: Don’t buildeth thine Banana Split Cake when thou art in thy cups.

One more thing - I’m not generally a Cool Whip fan but it’s good in this cake. Use fresh whipped cream if you’d rather.

Anyway, let’s get on with it.

Banana Split Cake

Banana cake mix baked according to package directions for a 8″ or 9″ layer cake (or banana cake from scratch)
1 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip, thawed and divided into two bowls
1 pint of fresh strawberries, stems removed, chopped to 1/2″ pieces
1 8 oz. can of pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, well drained
1 11 oz. jar of hot fudge topping (not the thin, runny chocolate sauce), heated slightly so that it can be poured
1/4 c. chopped salted peanuts

Mix half of the Cool Whip with the chopped strawberries and set aside. Mix the other half of the Cool Whip with the pineapple. Set that aside also.

Take your cooled cake layers and split each in half horizontally so that you now have four layers instead of two. Place the first layer on your cake plate, bottom side down. Spoon the Cool Whip/pineapple mixture on this layer and spread to the edge of the cake but not down the sides.

Place the next layer on top, top side down. This makes it easier to make your cake layers sit straight because the whipped topping/fruit mixture acts like a fluffy cushion. Pour enough hot fudge over the second layer so that it covers the layer and runs down the cake sides - a bit less than half the jar. Sprinkle with half of the chopped peanuts.

Place next layer on top, bottom side down. Top with Cool Whip/strawberry mixture. Place last layer on top, top side up. Pour hot fudge over this layer until it coats the top layer and runs down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle with the remaining peanuts and serve immediately.

This is really good but unfortunately doesn’t keep really well. It can be refrigerated for a couple of days, but I normally only make this for parties so that most of it is eaten as soon as it’s decorated.

No comments: