Saturday, August 12, 2006

Food Snobbery & Folks Who Try to Suck the Fun out of Cooking

I’ve been wanting to post something about the snobbery that exists on food-related sites for quite some time now, but I’m never sure exactly how to go about it. I haven’t bothered trying to build up the readership here because of that.

I’m a southern woman - a southeast Texan to be precise, so the diet I grew up with reflects that. Tex-Mex (which we never bother to call Tex-Mex; it’s just Mexican food), Cajun, and simple southern foods are what I grew up on and they’re what I prefer to this day. Feed me a big bowl of black-eyed peas with the pot liquor poured over a hunk of cornbread and I’m in Heaven.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate other foods. I really like Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French (and the list could go on and on). My own cooking experiences and daily diet center mostly around simple foods, though, and I don’t feel this is something to be ashamed of. How many cookbooks are dedicated to southern style cooking? A LOT. Why? Because it’s GOOD, that’s why, yet some of the people who call themselves ‘foodies’ make a point of putting down the food that I know and love.

I’m not implying that everybody has to like everything; I just don’t see the value in insulting the cuisine (yeah - I said cuisine) of a large population of the United States. If you don’t like it then by all means, don’t eat it, but don’t imply that something is wrong with me because I do. Disdain is not helpful. Or necessary. We should be learning things from each other; not trying to tear each other down.

This probably makes no sense to you regular Kat’s Stuff readers because none of this comes from you, it’s just an observation of mine. I started this site because I wanted to share some recipes. I thought it would be fun and maybe even helpful. I’ve been trying to write them with plain and simple directions so that everybody can play, and I believe I’m approachable enough so that if a person doesn’t understand a thing then they won’t be afraid to ask.

Searching for food blogs to link on this site has left a bad taste in my mouth (ha!). If any of you read any decent, food snob-free food blogs then please slap the links on me so I can check them out.

In the meantime fix yourself some chips and salsa and have a nice, cold, margarita. That’s good stuff and I don’t care who says what.

No comments: