Saturday, August 12, 2006

Crawfish Cornbread

This is a very easy dish to make and is always a hit at parties. In fact, if I don’t act quick enough I usually don’t get more than a bite. Maybe it’s just the hogs I’m hanging out with or something.

A few quick notes: I use frozen crawfish tails because it’s easier and they’re available year-round. Rinse them thoroughly and then soak them in water with Tony Cachere’s for about 15 minutes before proceeding with the recipe. Drain and rinse again. No need to boil these because they’re already cooked - just give them a little chop if you like. Sometimes I don’t bother chopping them at all.

Tony Cachere’s is actually a ’season-all’ type of seasoning that has red (cayenne) pepper in it so if Tony’s isn’t available where you live just use your favorite all-purpose seasoning and add enough red pepper to it to give it a kick.

This recipe calls for fresh jalapenos which I have access to in abundance around here (Houston, Texas) but if you can’t get fresh then canned jalapenos will work. You’ll need about a tablespoon of chopped pepper. The dish comes out spicy and flavorful and it’s one of my favorites.

Crawfish Cornbread

1 lb. crawfish tails, boiled and chopped
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick of butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. salt
1 can creamed corn (15 oz.)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
1 pkg. Jiffy Cornbread mix (the little 8-1/2 oz. box)
3 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tblsp. Tony Cachere’s Creole Seasoning
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients well and pour into an ungreased 9 x 12 pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until done in the middle. If a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean then it’s done. If it’s not quite ready allow it to cook longer and check on it in 5 minute intervals.

We’ll be having this with our Christmas Eve munchies. Yummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there aren't more comments on here for this. I made the crawfish cornbread for my Bunko group. When I served it I got some really strange looks (and I was in Dallas so those people should have eaten crawfish before). As Kat said, by the end the entire pan of cornbread was demolished and I was collecting email addresses to send out the recipe. I'm going to make it again for my new Bunko group in Amarillo. I'm sure they have never even had crawfish before. Boy are they in for some good ol' home cookin'!

Kat said...

There are few comments here because I've moved the blog several times from server to server and finally to blogspot. I just haven't bothered trying to up the traffic since the last move.